The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) has made available a security toolkit in an effort to help organizations better adhere to HIPAA compliance mandates.
"The NIST HIPAA Security Toolkit Application is intended to help organizations better understand the requirements of the HIPAA Security Rule, implement those requirements, and assess those implementations in their operational environment," the NIST states.
The toolkit is designed to provide guidance for not only covered entities, but their business associates and any other entity impacted by federal HIPAA compliance requirements.
"Target users include, but are not limited to, HIPAA covered entities, business associates, and other organizations such as those providing HIPAA Security Rule implementation, assessment, and compliance services. Target user organizations can range in size from large nationwide health plans with vast information technology (IT) resources to small health care providers with limited access to IT expertise," NIST continued.
Toolkits are provided for download at no cost, and are available for multiple operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows Released: 11/21/2011 Download: Setup_HSR_Toolkit.exe
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Released: 11/21/2011 Download: HSRToolkit-1.0-1.noarch.rpm
- Apple Mac OS Released: 11/21/2011 Download: HSRToolkit.dmg
Support is also available from NIST for the implementation and use of the HIPAA toolkit:
- The HIPAA Security Rule Toolkit User Guide explains how to use the toolkit.
- The install guide addresses how to install the toolkit for each supported operating system.
- Questions about the NIST HIPAA Security Rule Toolkit can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.